Although I love the original gray jeans, then the bleached white jeans (tutorial here), I think that I love the purple jeans most of all. Dying jeans or pants is shockingly fast and super easy. The whole process took a good 20 minutes, but the actual dying process took maybe 4 or 5.
Dye (I used Dye Purple # 13 Powder Fabric)
White or bleached pants (learn how to bleach them here) that are mostly made from cotton
Very hot water
Sink or something big like a sink, or a washing machine
1 cup of salt
Pots to make the water very hot (optional, there other ways)
Follow the instructions on the box, but what I did in detail, which was simplified was…
1. Heat up 2 big pots of water, I got mine boiling.
2. Take out 2 cups of water from one of the boiling pots and mix in half of the bag of Rit dye to let it de-solve (or the liquid accordingly.
3. Dump the 2 boiling pots of water into a sink, or something like. I found it wasn’t quite enough water, so I add hot water from the faucet. The water was still very very hot.
4. Pour and stir in the 2 cups of dye and a cup of salt.
5. Wetting the pants with plain water and stick them into the sink.
6. Keep stirring and moving the pants in the dye to keep pants dying evenly.
7. I kept them in for 4 or 5 minutes.
8. Rinse it out in cold water and quickly through it into the wash and wash it by itself on cold with detergent so the dye doesn’t keep dying your pants. (If you accidentally over dyed, wash in hot water).
9. Dry and wear!