When I moved out here….there were a few crucial things I forgot to bring, just under Oli’s birth certificate and Beck’s passport, I forgot almost all of my jewelry. The first thing that ran through my mind was….I’ll just buy some then I will be fine…no worries. Well, now that I’ve finally got a few pieces here, I desperately needed a place to put them and a pretty way to hang them (away from the babies).
Poshlocket has recently made me one of their tastemakers and has asked me to do a tutorial on how to hang their pretty jewelry in a pretty way – so I came up with an inexpensive hanging jewelry holder made from a mesh strainer, yes a strainer. Your jewelry can now not only make you pretty, but make your room pretty too! Now I just need to add to it!
metal mesh strainer (i bought mine at the dollar store)
fishing wire or chain (mine holds up to 30lbs)
3/4″ or 1″ S hooks (buy as many as you have necklaces and plus some)
needle nose pliers and/or wire cutters
1. and 2. Cut off and/or bend the handle and whatnot for a nice neat circle.
3. Cut three 2.5′ to 3′ long pieces of fishing wire. Mark 3 different spots evenly around the hoop – attach and knot the three separate fishing wire pieces to the separate 3 spots.
4. Knot the 3 newly attached and evenly spaced strings together about 2′ to 3′ above the strainer. Double knot just to make sure!
5. Find the place in your house where you are going to put your hanging jewelry holder, mark the spot on your ceiling where you want it to hang from. Screw in your screw-in hook into that mark.
6. Measure the length you want it to hang from the ceiling minus the length of the 3 strings that you previously tied together and cut a string that is twice that length. So, if you are hanging it 5′ down from you ceiling, you minus 2′ for the 3 strings that are attached to the mesh which is 3′, then double that amount which equals 6′. Take that string and loop it under the joined knot (from #4) and knot the 2 ends together closing the loop. Double knot that too! Now hang your jewelry holder and make sure that is where you like it.
7. Hang the S hooks along the rim of the hoop.
8. Hang, hook, dangle, and lay your jewelry in and around this holder! Done!