I’m a sucker for sweatpants….pretty ones, old ones, paint stained ones, you name it . Hopefully I’m not the only one! Thus, a tutorial to beautify the some old baggy ones….can you believe what a quick gathering and fitting can do? I’m in love with them. Not sure if I will ever take them off. EVER. Perfect little pants to cozy up in on Christmas Eve while you sit in front of the fire sipping hot chocolate from your snowman mug or wear when opening the Christmas presents!
Check out the BEFORE picture after the page break!
knit pants you like the fit of
*If you are working with very big pants (especially if they are a little low and baggy), then proceed to do number 1-3. If you pants only need to be taken in a little in the legs, then sew in the outside seams however many inches you need. If you don’t need any taking in at all…just gathering, skip to step 8.
1.Cut open the inseams and cut off the top waistband of the pants
2. Grab a pair of pants you like the fit of (nothing very tight) and trace and mimic the roundness of the middle back and front seams going out from the side seams.
3. Sew up the inseams of the legs.
4. Sew up the middle front/back seam.
5. Take the waistband and cut/sew it to be snug on your waist.
6. Cut down the top of the pants to be a few inches below where you want it the top of the waistband to hit because you will be a dding a few inches for the waistband.
7. Sew the waistband to the pants with a zig zag stitch or straight stitch (if you stretch it as you sew) right sides together.
8. Cut off the pants to be the length you want +3/4″ for hemming. Hem the pants.
9. Cut a piece of elastic about 5″-6″ long. Pin it to the end of the pants, on the outside seam (or where it would be), then stretch it out all the way and pin it to where it will hit on the pants pinned. It will bunch. Sew it on by stretching the elastic and sewing down the center of the elastic as it is stretched. Then when you are done, the end of the leg should bunch up and gather. If you want it to be really gathered like mine are, I gathered it first with out the elastic, then did step 9 with it being gathered.