The first thing that popped into my mind after I finished sewing this top was….wow this is SO Spring-y and girly I love it. My husband’s was…that would look good with just panties (but I digress and tmi…sorry and not sorry). All I needed with this top was a warm sunny day, picnic blanket, lunch, my boys, a bike and trailer, and some flowers hanging from my bike basket. Instead I got a freezing cold and on/off rainy day, parked outside of a random building on a random street with my littlest napping in the car 5 feet away as I was peering in on him in between pictures to make sure he wasn’t waking up. When will spring really get?! Oh and did I mention this top is PERFECT for pregnancy too?
pants: hm top: self-made tutorial below hat: oasap lipstick:mood lipstick (I’m obsessed)
Extra needed supplies:
1.5″ fabric (non-stretchy/woven)
1. Cut out the piece in the shape below by laying down a non-stretch fabric onto the fabric (non-stretch/woven). Then cut the front piece -making sure you start out a few inches below the armpits to the top of your chest then tapering back down to a few inches below the armpit. The back will be cut out a few inches under your armpit, tapering down 4 to 6 inches then back to the other side a few inches under the armpit.
2. Sew the two pieces together, making sure the outside fabric sides are touching.
3. Cut out the bottom piece by making a rectangle, making it as long as your chest measurement is around plus half your chest measurement (ex: 32″ bust + 16″ of your half bust = 48″ long) or double your chest measurement (32″ x2= 64″). The longer this length is the more gathered it will be.
4. Then split (just marking not cutting) in half and on the back half cut out a nice slopping U shape that will mimic the back piece (when gathered) of the top half you just cut in step 1. It is ok if you aren’t completely accurate. The hemming will fix any mess ups.
5. Gather the top of the piece to be the length of your top half’s bottom opening is around.
6. Pin and sew the top and bottom together, right sides together (outsides touching).
7. Make a facing and sew it to the neckline using this tutorial HERE.
8. Hem under 1/2″ to 1″. Iron!