+ DIY painted gingham maxi

WS3A4207Leandra_Medine_04.01.14_Matt_Borkowski_Look_2_Image_6
I might be a sucker for maxi skirts and a sucker for gingham. So, naturally I was drawn to this beautiful maxi skirt by CH Carolina Herrara that was spotted on Atlantic-pacific and Man Repeller. And I instantly knew that this dress can by DIYed! Can’t wait to try it out myself.
gingham

Supplies:
1. 3″ wide paint brush (foam or hair)
2. Royal blue fabric paint (not sure how many containers you will need but at least 2)
3. 3 to 4 yards of a flowy medium weight white fabric (like a cotton poly, polyester, bamboo rayon, etc). You have to measure out at least 2x to 3x your waist, then measure your length length. So, I bought 2x my length in fabric which was about 90″.
4. 7″-9″ Invisible zipper or metallic
5. paper plate for your fabric paint

Instructions:
1. Lay out the fabric, measure about how wide you want to the gingham stripes both horizontal and vertical. Mark. You can add fabric tape if you are a perfectionist like me and work in one direction of stripes. Once that one direction is finished and completely dry, tape off the perpendicular stripes evenly making gingham.
2. Dip your brush lightly into the paint and stroke it onto your fabric lightly following your markings. you don’t want it to be too thick, if you look at the skirt, it is a lightly painted. Let dry  or heat set it on dryer.
3. Once all dry, you can follow this tutorial here (but add a band like tutorial here) or use this tutorial or this tutorial here, but lengthen it! How to install invisible or metallic zipper (tutorial here or here or here)

Comments

1. cristina says:

simply GENIAL!!!!

2. Sarah Helene says:

WOW– HOW AMAZING to know you painted this gingham plaid fabric using royal blue fabric paint. I LOVE the effect of the brush strokes as they are crossed at right angles showing significant differences in the brightness of the color due to the thickness of the paint. Reveals your talent to create your own fabric design. You love FAB in this stylish MAXI — BRAVO! Sarah in Minneapolis

3. Such a great idea – I’m loving gingham at the moment, yet it never occurred to me to do this! Definitely my next project :)

4. Hi! Love this tutorial! This could be done in an array of colors. I am going to try lavender or a dark plum, just to be different and creative :)
    I also wanted to let you know that the link to the first tutorial you mentioned is broken. Just wanted to let you know so you your comment section isn’t getting blown up about that.
    Thanks again for this tutorial. I would never really have thought of this. And I think they way that yours turned out is very lovely!

5. so beautiful idea!i never thought i could do it on my own!love it!

Irene

6. Roxanne says:

Wonderful as usual! Love it, love it, love it!

7. I loved this skirt too when I saw it on Atlantic-Pacific and also wondered if it could be DIY-ed. Thanks for the step-by-step process – if you do make it yourself I would LOVE to see how it turns out!!! Please do post some pics!

8. I love it, it’s a good idea!!

9. I’d love to see your version when its ready!! I’m sure it will be lovely.

10. Jessica says:

Love, love, this maxi! I have been following your blog for several months and I love seeing what you come up with next. But this one has inspired me to try it! I’m as beginner as they come. I found a cotton poly blend(65 poly/35 cotton), but I would exactly call it flowy. It kind of reminds me of a very thin sheet. Would this work. Can you give me a little more direction in choosing a fabric for this fab gingham skirt?

11. Ottilie says:

Wow, I love the idea. I looked for simular fabric, but could’nt find something. Thank you! Ottilie

12. So beautiful-I had my eye on that pattern, too! How does your version of the Herrera feel with the fabric paint? Really beautiful job. -H

13. DOUBLE SWOON! I need to do this ASAPLY, it is amazing! Your blog always gives me inspo!

14. Hey, I love your blog! I have only just recently discovered it and have started using your amazing DIY’s. I love this skirt and am going to make it to take with me to Canada hopefully! I wonder, have you made it yet? Would love to see how it turned out. Thanks x

15. Hi! Just wanted to say I am in love with all your tutorials!!! Though I am new in sewing, so it would be great if you could add some video-tutorials from time to time, that would help! But anyways thank you for your work and great posts!
    Great inspiration to me! :)

16. lot for sale dasmarinas says:
  17. Howdy! This blog post could not be written any better! Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept talking about this. I’ll send this article to him. Fairly certain he’s going to have a very good read. Thanks for sharing!