I might be a sucker for maxi skirts and a sucker for gingham. So, naturally I was drawn to this beautiful maxi skirt by CH Carolina Herrara that was spotted on Atlantic-pacific and Man Repeller. And I instantly knew that this dress can by DIYed! Can’t wait to try it out myself.
1. 3″ wide paint brush (foam or hair)
2. Royal blue fabric paint (not sure how many containers you will need but at least 2)
3. 3 to 4 yards of a flowy medium weight white fabric (like a cotton poly, polyester, bamboo rayon, etc). You have to measure out at least 2x to 3x your waist, then measure your length length. So, I bought 2x my length in fabric which was about 90″.
4. 7″-9″ Invisible zipper or metallic
5. paper plate for your fabric paint
1. Lay out the fabric, measure about how wide you want to the gingham stripes both horizontal and vertical. Mark. You can add fabric tape if you are a perfectionist like me and work in one direction of stripes. Once that one direction is finished and completely dry, tape off the perpendicular stripes evenly making gingham.
2. Dip your brush lightly into the paint and stroke it onto your fabric lightly following your markings. you don’t want it to be too thick, if you look at the skirt, it is a lightly painted. Let dry or heat set it on dryer.
3. Once all dry, you can follow this tutorial here (but add a band like tutorial here) or use this tutorial or this tutorial here, but lengthen it! How to install invisible or metallic zipper (tutorial here or here or here)